Saturday 19 January 2008

the shame, the horror

Inspired by Feministe's weekly random ten and shakesville's recurring two minutes of nostalgia and a meme doing the rounds which mentions your most shameful music I am instituting my inaugural weekly shameful music I like/ shameful television I like post.



When this record came out I was so ashamed of wanting to own it that I couldn't even go out and buy it. Shane Ritchie, the singer of this cover, for non-British soap watching readers, had a part in Eastenders, the bbc's big soap, and was, at the time, half of a big doomed love affair. Fortunately a housemate at the time knew I wanted it and would never buy it myself because I didn't want people thinking I was the sort of person who brought records made by soap actors, even for charity, and gave it to me for my birthday. I still like the song
I have a feeling that covers of wham may become a recurring theme.

Doomed love affairs are the way to suck me into any soap. After all I actually watched days of our lives for a while purely out of vague interest into whether and how Chloe Lane and Brady Black would hook up. (This is actually more shameful than the music video. This is a show where people can ride jet skis to distant tropical islands through the eye of a hurricane. There is literally no basis in reality. Which, come to think of it, is the entire reason that I liked it in the first place. The sheer chutzpah of a show where the Christmas special involves your actors being fake versions of themselves who interact exactly as your characters do, introducing terribly saccharine clips, then turning back into their characters magically at the stroke of midnight is to be applauded
You can view this terribly unbelievably awesomely bad episode in four parts here:








Don't watch it all, not unless you don't value your sanity or, like me, you have a sado-masochistic relationship towards bad television. Watch part 4, in it's entirety though, because it is just hilarious! (If you can't stomach even that much go for 4 minutes in which is actually brilliantly hilarious)
I just watched this whole thing through again and I laughed so hard that I cried.

No comments: